Do you suffer from dental anxiety? You are not alone.
Dental anxiety is a common condition that causes patients to feel afraid or nervous about visiting the dentist or having dental procedures. Learn more about the numerous treatments that can be administered to help with anxiety.
What Is Nitrous Oxide?
Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, is an odorless and colorless gas that dentists can administer to patients through a fitted mask worn over the nose. When inhaled, the mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen works quickly to reduce anxiety and create a calming effect for patients. Patients remain conscious and can still breathe through their nose while the medication is being administered.
There are many reasons patients can benefit from using nitrous oxide. These include:
- Increased comfort: Laughing gas allows patients to feel relaxed and calm during a procedure. It increases comfort, decreases pain and reduces anxiety, making it a perfect solution for nervous patients.
- Fast acting: Laughing gas works quickly during treatment. Patients should feel the relaxing effects of the nitrous oxide within minutes after it is inhaled.
- Safe and effective: Nitrous oxide is an extremely safe form of sedation. Levels are easily monitored and adjusted by the dentist during treatment for each patient’s unique needs.
- Minimal side effects: As soon as the mask is removed, the effects of laughing gas wear off quickly. Because it has no lingering side effects, patients can drive home after their appointment and resume their normal activities.
- No needles: Unlike other types of sedation, nitrous oxide doesn’t require the use of needles because it is inhaled through a mask.
- Works for all ages: With your dentist’s approval, nitrous oxide can be used for adults and children.
Is Nitrous Oxide Right For You?
The best way to determine if you are a candidate for nitrous oxide is to talk to your dentist. Your dentist will review your medical history and verify whether sedation dentistry is an appropriate option for your dental needs.
You may be a good candidate for nitrous oxide if:
- You need a little extra help relaxing in the dental chair
- You gag easily during procedures
- You require a lot of dental work during one appointment
Ask McLean DDS About Laughing Gas
Are you ready to overcome your dental fears? Talk to your dentist about nitrous oxide. This safe and highly effective sedative is the mildest form available. With the use of laughing gas, patients can confidently and comfortably take care of their dental health — and even take care of multiple dental procedures in a single visit.
Whether you’ve been avoiding a regular cleaning because of a poor gag reflex or you can’t settle your anxiety to improve your smile with cosmetic services, laughing gas can help! If you think you might benefit from using nitrous oxide, talk to our dentist about available options at your next appointment.