Maybe you never had braces as a teen. Or perhaps you did wear braces, but your teeth have moved since treatment. Whatever your reason for considering orthodontics as an adult, know that straighter teeth offer many benefits — no matter what your age!
One popular and effective way to straighten your teeth is with Invisalign. Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment that straightens teeth without using metal braces. Instead, Invisalign uses a series of custom-made, clear aligners that cover your teeth and move them into the proper position under pressure. Whether you’re 8 or 88 (or older), if your teeth aren’t perfectly aligned, you could benefit from Invisalign’s clear aligners.
Here's a closer look at why age doesn’t determine your candidacy for Invisalign and why Invisalign is an excellent treatment option for correcting misaligned teeth.
Why Older Adults Are Great Candidates for Invisalign Treatment
Mature adults make excellent candidates for Invisalign due to their self-motivation. Most adults show more commitment to follow their treatment plan correctly, which helps prevent complications or delays along the way. For example, younger patients are more likely to forget to wear their aligners for the required number of hours each day, or lose their aligners, which can delay the treatment plan.
During a consultation appointment, your dentist will examine the health of your teeth and gums while also assessing your bite and alignment. Taking your oral health habits, lifestyle and goals for treatment into consideration, your dentist can help determine if Invisalign is right for you.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign can help correct various orthodontic issues such as misalignments and overcrowding, which, if left untreated, could lead to future complications including tooth decay and tooth loss. In addition to improving your smile and overall oral health, adult patients benefit from Invisalign for many reasons, including:
- It’s comfortable. Unlike traditional metal braces, with Invisalign you never have to worry about wires irritating your cheeks or gums. The smooth, comfortable plastic aligners are tailor-made to fit your teeth perfectly.
- It requires fewer dental visits. With invisible aligners, you won’t need to visit the dentist as frequently, and the visits are typically shorter. During treatment, patients usually visit their dentist every four to six weeks, and between appointments, they will already have a set of aligners to switch every two weeks.
- It’s virtually invisible. Invisalign aligners are clear, which means most people won’t even notice you are undergoing treatment to correct your teeth. Adults can smile confidently while straightening their teeth without wearing noticeable metal wires and brackets required with traditional braces.
- It’s easy to maintain. With traditional braces, you must brush and floss over and around wires and brackets. Since Invisalign is removable, patients can easily brush and floss normally without any special care.
- There are no dietary restrictions. Finally, with traditional braces you are limited in the foods you can eat or drink.
Learn More About Invisalign Today!
At McLean DDS, we love seeing our older patients benefit from Invisalign. To learn more about Invisalign and other treatment options, contact our office today by calling 703-734-2750.